AmeriCorps members spark family skills in literacy, learning & more
This first-in-the-state AmeriCorps program focused on early childhood education currently provides family engagement opportunities in nine On My Way Pre-K sites in Evansville, Fort Wayne and Indianapolis. Ten full-time members coordinate a range of activities and opportunities that fulfill three primary objectives: to facilitate capacity building of pre-Kindergarten programs to engage, to strengthen program parent-child relationships, and to help parents support their children’s development.
AmeriCorps members provide regular, on-site resources and activities, including:
- Supporting the development of each program’s family engagement strategy;
- Helping programs structure and facilitate family engagement programming;
- Developing a platform to empower families to take an active role in their child’s education, with a particular focus on early literacy;
- Implementing Kindergarten transition plans with local schools; and
- Connecting programs to appropriate research-based tools, practices, and assessments.
Early Learning Indiana increases statewide supports with expanded partnership with Indiana’s Office of Early Childhood and Out-of-School Learning. There are over 500,000 children under age five in Indiana, and nearly two-thirds of them have both parents in the workforce. Indiana families and communities rely upon child care and early learning programs to help their children thrive…
On June 7, more than 500 Hoosier business, civic, early childhood, education and political leaders came together at Muncie’s Horizon Convention Center, brought together by Early Learning Indiana, the Indiana Early Learning Advisory Committee, Muncie and Delaware County BY5, and ReadyNation. With a goal of expanding early learning access across the state, those Indiana leaders…